ESG Data Specialist
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Department Profile
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is one of the largest global asset management organizations of any full service securities firm, with 45 offices serving clients in 19 countries. MSIM's professionals worldwide provide outstanding long-term investment performance. We offer clients a diverse array of equity, fixed income, liquidity and alternative investments, including merchant banking strategies.
MSIM defines Sustainable Investing as a spectrum of practices that uses environmental, social and governance (ESG) information and criteria to deliver returns for clients and shape bespoke investment solutions. We are committed to ESG-informed investment decision making and we leverage our influence as an investor to drive better investment performance alongside improved sustainability practices and outcomes. MSIM offers a variety of sustainable investing options, from funds that integrate ESG factors as an intrinsic part of the investment process, to thematic Sustainable Funds that seek to achieve attractive financial returns alongside positive impact. The firm aspires to ESG integration leadership and excellence in offering client solutions in the fast-growing sustainable investing industry. Team Profile
The MSIM Sustainability team is responsible for the execution of MSIM's sustainable investing business strategy globally, including developing MSIM's ESG investment integration standards, helping to launch thematic Sustainable Funds, advising sales professionals and clients on sustainability matters, and producing sustainability data, tools and research in support of our investment teams. The Sustainability team also comprises the Global Stewardship function, which coordinates our stewardship and investee engagement agenda. Integration of ESG data into the business is a critical element in the success of this program.
The team is seeking an ESG and Alternative Data Specialist (Senior Associate or VP level) to support all aspects of our strategic and operational investments in the data necessary to position the firm now and in the future as a leader in sustainable investing. This will involve the implementation of a comprehensive ESG and Alternative Data strategy, working in close collaboration with other functional areas and across asset classes. This strategy includes: establishing criteria for the selection, procurement and rollout of third party data sets; developing protocols for the design and development of proprietary ESG and alternative data methodologies; designing systems and frameworks to collect, export and process investor generated ESG data; and creating dashboards and portfolio analysis tools for investors.
Successful candidates will have a dual passion for sustainability and technology, as well as demonstrated expertise in data engineering. The role is highly collaborative, as the Specialist will be required to work closely with a number of internal groups globally including Data, Technology, Investment teams, Operations, Legal and Compliance, and the Morgan Stanley Global Sustainable Finance group. Primary Responsibilities
Qualifications: S k ills re q uir e d
- Develop MSIM's ESG data strategy in close consultation with members of the Sustainability team and the Morgan Stanley Global Sustainable Finance group;
- Lead the project management of ESG data and technology priorities on behalf of the Sustainability team and in support of MSIM's investment teams and asset class platforms including: designing and building investment dashboards, creating automated ESG client reporting solutions, developing proprietary scoring or assessment models, working with investment teams on proprietary data collection and processing frameworks, establishing engagement tracking systems;
- Collaborate closely with Technology and Data teams to advance the ESG data strategy, including processing bulk financial/ESG data sets, and leveraging NLP/AI technologies to generate investment insights;
- Collaborate closely with the Morgan Stanley Global Sustainable Finance group on joint and strategically important data projects;
- Identify key data and service providers in the fast-evolving ESG/alternative data industry that best serve the business interests of the investment management business unit;
- Support investment teams and asset class platforms with the construction of proprietary ESG/thematic sustainability scoring methodologies and the incorporation of ESG data-driven analytics into investment processes or research;
- Aggregate data as necessary for firm-level sustainability/ESG reporting, e.g. PRI, TCFD, etc.;
- Support development of key firm-wide sustainability projects through data-driven analysis and contributions, e.g. climate investing strategy.
- Minimum 4 - 5 years of industry experience , asset management industry experience preferred with a focus on sustainable/ESG investing;
- Deep fluency with the philosophical underpinnings, data structure and data quality of ESG ratings, scores and other data sets from specialist providers, and an understanding of the unique ESG data needs and challenges across different asset classes;
- Track record of working with large structured and unstructured data sets to produce ESG analysis or develop proprietary models;
- Working knowledge of one or more statistical programming languages - R and Python are preferred - and familiarity with SQL/DB2, Linux languages to support prototyping and analytics, and experience with workflow scheduling tools;
- Experience with geo-spatial data and geo-statistical software or libraries highly regarded;
- Experience implementing machine learning algorithms for prediction and classification highly regarded;
- Proven ability to work across different teams and functions to deliver multi-stakeholder projects;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex information clearly and simply, including via PPT presentations;
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels within the business;
- Strong understanding of equity, fixed income and alternative investments;
- Must be a team player with the ability to also work effectively independently;
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in a quantitative discipline, quantitative Master's well-regarded.