Private Equity Principal, Biomedical Innovation
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With US$1 trillion in assets under management as of 30 June 2020, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 60 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative, and inclusive culture because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
As part of the continued expansion of our alternatives capabilities, we are seeking to recruit an experienced Private Equity Principal ('Principal') to join our $400 million venture fund focused on biomedical innovation. Wellington has been investing in private markets since 2003, and the Firm launched its first dedicated private capital fund in 2014. Today, the team currently manages approximately $4 billion in assets across four private equity funds, including Biomedical Innovation I.
Based in Boston, the Principal will be responsible for helping develop our sourcing network, in addition to building relationships directly with private companies across the biotechnology industry. In addition to generating deal flow, the ideal candidate will conduct in-depth due diligence of select deals, develop investment recommendations, and monitor portfolio positions. We expect this individual to leverage his or her insight and experience during the investment process, while working closely with others across our investment platform, including our Healthcare investment team, which manages over $60 billion in a variety of long-only, long/short and private equity client mandates.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The Principal will have a deep scientific background and track record of investing in private biomedical companies. The ideal candidate will be passionate about biology, innovation and financial markets and employ a fundamental, research oriented, bottom up approach to investing in private companies. In addition, the Principal will implement those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach.
- Superior collaboration skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Principal will build strong trusting relationships externally with company management teams, industry contacts, clients and prospects as well as internally with colleagues. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the Principal must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about scientific innovation and the evolution investing in private biotechnology companies.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in a private markets investment role, preferably at a venture capital firm;
- Established industry relationships and network to source deal flow in biotechnology;
- Ability and track record of generating money making investment ideas in private biomedical companies;
- Experience leading and collaborating with skilled, cross-functional deal teams;
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature; and
- Superior academic credentials and track record: an undergraduate degree is required; a MD or PhD in a biomedical discipline is strongly preferred.
Private Equity Principal, Biomedical Innovation LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .