Java Technical Lead
Who we're looking for
The Wealth Investments Team are looking for a skilled technologist seeking their next challenge with a Java or equivalent background. You will be curious and thoughtful in designing our next generation of applications to delight our customers. You will also take a lead in the technical development of junior team members, providing thought leadership on design and architecture. You will be a key contributor to our cloud strategy in Wealth Technology and help us pivot to this exciting new technology platform over the next year.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our brand new HQ in the City of London in 2018. The building has a free to use gym on-site, with the latest equipment and great studio spaces (yoga, spin, weights, cardio). There is also a fantastic canteen where our teams like to meet and chat over lunch. Schroders also support flexible working and we have first class collaboration tools to support your work wherever in the world you happen to be.
You will be working in the Wealth Investments Team at Schroders. We are above all a collaborative team and look to support each other on our shared objectives. We pair program often and are keen to share our knowledge with each other.
DevOps is at the heart of what we do and we own our technology from design, through to deploying and supporting it in production for our clients. We are constantly seeking to reduce our technical debt and are continuously seeking to improve the quality of our deliveries and the service we provide to our clients.
Our business works closely with us to achieve shared outcomes and provide us with clarity on what we should be focusing on. Every 12 weeks we set aside two days for collaborative Agile planning using SAFe with our business partners and senior management.
What you'll do
• Facilitate creative technical and architectural design
• Scan the horizon for game-changing tech and show us how it will make a difference
• Encourage debate and diverse viewpoints
• Work in a completely Agile environment
• Develop software in a Continuous Deployment environment, iterating at speed and releasing often
• Work with exciting tech and languages: Java, Kotlin, Scala, VueJs, TypeScript, Python, C#, Spring Microservices, Hadoop and Azure
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experience implementing RESTful services or serverless functions
• Experience with test-first development practices such as BDD and TDD
• A working knowledge of SQL and/or NoSQL
• Experience designing and implementing scalable architecture
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• A background in Financial Services
• Experience working in an Agile environment
• Exposure to modern messaging systems such as Kafka and container-based or serverless computing
• Experience with continuous integration and automated testing frameworks
• An understanding of the end to end trade lifecycle, order management, portfolio modelling and re-balancing
• Understanding of Cloud concepts, including infrastructure-as-code and platform-as-a-service
• Experience developing applications for the Cloud
What you'll be like
• A team oriented individual, keen to mentor junior team members
• Flexible, self-motivated, enthusiastic, willing to learn and to teach
• An imaginative thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
• Great at unpicking a problem and collaborating with the team on the best solution
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating ideas
• Keen to improve what we do for our clients and how we do it
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note to Agencies:
Schroders does not accept speculative CV's from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CV's and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CV's sent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CV's directly.