Nomura is searching for a security focused Data Scientist to enhance the output of the Global IT Security Team, assisting with the growing data needs across the team. The candidate will be located in the EMEA region and be the lead for data mining and analytics, interpreting data visualization, and facilitating the reporting of large integrated data sets built with structured and unstructured data, and the development of automation and tools to leverage proprietary data sources.
We are looking for someone keen to make an impact by using data to make more intelligent, data driven decisions. The candidate will enhance the status of the Global Security team by using innovative analytical methods, with a focus on learning about business needs and delivering business value. You must have a keen interest in machine learning and automation, and be ready to expand your skills as the field progresses.
This position reports to the head of the EMEA IT Security team based in London, with additional responsibilities to the Global Head of IT Security to support their strategic vision.
The role will cover a diverse range of areas for the team, including:
- Supporting the Global Head of IT Security to leverage proprietary data for senior and executive management.
- Develop automation capabilities and tools to support Threat Intelligence.
- Develop automation capabilities and tools to support Digital Risk initiatives.
- Enhance the reporting of the risk and governance output.
- Support the creation of Nomura's data lake.
- Support the Global IT Security team with ad-hoc technical support.
- Continuously seeks out industry best practice and skills development to create new capabilities for data analytics.
- Implement metrics/scorecards/dashboards to track the effectiveness, engagement and business impact of the Global IT Security team.
In this position, the Data Scientist must have the following skills and background:
- Proven track record in delivering data science based projects in an IT security environment.
- Synthetic thinking skills with the ability to connect the dots between data sets and business relevant insights that can be delivered to a range of stakeholders.
- Background with data science and statistical analysis in R or Python.
- Strong data management skills including SQL.
- The ability to merge large data sets, to generate insight from those data sets and to be able to visualize those insights for both technical and non-technical audience.
- Hands-on experience working with 3rd party security vendors.
- Demonstrable, inquisitive nature with the ability to pursue lines of inquiry independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- Prior experience working in the financial sector or in a multinational company, across various time zones.
- Awareness of malware, hacking tools and advanced threat actor tactics, tools and techniques a large advantage.
- Understanding of and experience with modern technical security controls and technologies, such as TIP's, SOAR's firewalls, SIEMs, IPS, HIPS, web proxies, etc.
- Knowledge of cyber threat intelligence models (e.g., MITRE ATT&CK, Kill Chain, Diamond Model).
- Degree in statistics, math, and data analytics, physics, computer science, or machine-learning related fields.
- Proven track record working in a professional data science position (preferably in security).
- Background with a wide variety of major data science / statistical analytics tools and programming languages (for example experience in one or some of the following: Python, SPSS Modeler, SAS, R, Scala, Spark).
- Working knowledge of visual analytical tools such as Tableau.