Director - GCB & IPB Investment Lending Risk Manager
Primary Job Description
Risk Manager - Investment Lending is a critical role in the GCB Risk organization and supports the Investments secured Portfolio for GCB and IPB businesses
. Singapore Consumer Investment lending portfolio is the largest internationally and covers both MSBF (Margin Lending) and Insurance Premium Finance products.
As observed during GFC and COVID-19 crisis, the leader in this role to play a significant role in shaping up the business strategy and navigating the portfolio through the crisis. Building a robust portfolio, which can withstand the stress during economic & market stress and performs within defined risk appetite, is the core responsibility of this role.
This role leads a team of people and primarily responsible for managing Portfolio Risk, Credit & Collateral Review / Approvals, mark to market and Credit/Regulatory reporting. The role interacts with key business partners in Global Consumer Bank (GCB) including Senior Business Manager, Product Managers, Sales/Relationship Manager, Financial Control, Credit Operations, Operations and Technology, Regional Consumer Independent Risk Management team and other groups within the organization including Co-ordination with Credit Risk functions in Private Banking Business.
In the capacity of Investment Lending - Risk Manager, the incumbent will support Singapore GCB Country Risk Manager to lead the risk management framework of the Investment lending products on a day-to-day basis. The position is a senior role and requires leadership skill, exceptional work ethics, solid communication and analytical skills and ability to multitask and work well against timelines.
Investment Lending Business for GCB Singapore is one of the most significant revenue, and EBIT contributor to the Singapore franchise. The incumbent is responsible to lead the Investment Risk Team of 7-8 and define (a) Risk Appetite Framework around Collateral Acceptance and Portfolio metrics (b) Define Credit Policy Framework (c) Monitor Performance and make dynamic adjustments (d) Implement effective risk management tools (e) Maintain NIL/Low cost of credit (f) Comply to local regulations and Citi policies, etc. This is an extremely dynamic product, which requires strong and comprehensive risk management. Key Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for managing and leading risk management & supervising implementation of risk policies for Margin lending, currency trading as well as Insurance Premium financing business.
- Interact and lead discussion with all stakeholders in the business, senior management (within country, Regional or Global) on credit policy changes, new credit/product proposal and ensuring buy-in from all affected business partners and support business growth
- Support the Singapore Franchise in their Key & Critical strategy of "Winning in Wealth" strategy (Key for Asia Wealth Management business) to double the revenue and market share by looking at avenues of enhancing and expansion of lending to up-tiered Client segments, new Collateral / Asset Classes across jurisdictions, Streamlined and superior credit processes in the quest to support profitable growth of the business while maintaining adequate control and balancing risk and reward
- Manage a team of Risk Analysts and role include coaching, supervising and motivating them to deliver high productivity and maintain strong portfolio credit quality
- Ensure adequate staffing, backup and quality of the team to ensure smooth operations. Ensure talents are retained, team is motivated and successors are groomed. Provide adequate training to team members and other functional stakeholders.
- Lead the team to initiate and implement improvements to the credit evaluation process, Collateral review and Analytics process including Automation and Straight Through Processing to further build up the Bank's capacity and competitiveness in acquiring quality business
- Leading portfolio analysis efforts to determine portfolio performance and accounts quality against baseline objectives and recommend policy changes to ensure financial goals are attained.
- Evaluate market conditions and the competitive environment to identify gaps in the credit policies and propose new policies and timely changes to protect the Bank's profitability
- Align or enhance GCB MSBF risk management control processes and governance with the rest of the DSFT (Derivative and Securities Financing Transactions) program
- Develop future state processes and controls to align GCB DSFT data with firm-wide DSFT reporting needs
- Communicating credit policy changes to the appropriate business partners and addressing resources and implementation of changes
- Develop new policies and enhancements to existing policies/processes to support the introduction of new business initiatives for new through the door and portfolio management
- Appropriately assess risk when new policies/decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency, as well as effectively supervise the activity of others and create accountability with those who fail to maintain these standards.
- Establish strong partnership across the bank i.e. business, loan operation, finance, compliance, legal etc. to facilitate credit policy, strategic solutions and process streamlining implementation for respective products
- Engage with Model Risk and Reporting team to manage Basel II/CCAR/ICAAP/Stress Test for portfolio under management for Investment lending risk portfolios
- Manage any new system implementation for products under management
- Lead any discussion with Audit Risk Review Team, Fundamental Credit Review (FCR) Team, External Audit Committee and Local/OCC Regulator for products under management
- Minimum 15 years' experience in Consumer or Private banking credit risk management covering wide range of Investment / Wealth Management products and , Portfolio management.
- Superior Knowledge of wealth & Investment management, understanding of global financial market and dynamics of financial instruments and their associated risks (Credit, market, Liquidity, Legal etc.) are critical for the role.
- Able to make decisions on matters pertaining to aspects of risk other than credit, such as franchise, reputation risk and country risk.
- Able to identify and influence key decision makers across various levels and functions within the organization; diffuse conflict and work toward agreement.
- Able to work in a rapidly changing external environment and support business in a highly competitive and challenging market.
- Proven ability to balance Risk & Reward by having a Client First attitude and relationship management.
- Thinks strategically and acts decisively in high risk scenarios, appropriately assessing a situation based on available data, experience, intuition, and judgment.
- Consistently reads difficult situations accurately and takes appropriate action to gain senior colleague/ client commitment.
- Effectiveness in working within a matrix organization is essential.
Job Family Group:
- Demonstrates "managerial courage", strong ethics and integrity.
- Must have the skills to build, train, retain and lead a team and ability / experience to provide stable guidance and leadership during stress.
- Excellent verbal & written English communication skills. Active listening skills.
- Should be an articulate and effective communicator, with an energetic and approachable style.
- Candidates must have effective negotiation skills, a proactive and 'no surprises' approach in communicating Risk issues, strength in sustaining independent views, and the ability to work effectively at the highest levels of the organization.
- Able to "roll up sleeves" and work across levels in risk management and also with other operations and business teams.
- Should be able to work as a strategic senior manager for the franchise showing ability to think beyond silos.
- Excellent Presentation skills - adept at presenting effectively to audiences of various sizes and adapting style as necessary.
- Acts as a role model for managing people, coaching, and serving as a mentor.
Risk Management Job Family:
Credit & Portfolio Risk Management Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting