Team Lead Data Science ML
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
Would you like to translate terabytes of data into unforgettable holidays for millions of people around the globe?
We are looking for a top-notch Data Scientist passionate about people development, to join our growing machine learning community.
Our product development teams crunch endless amounts of data to provide our customers with the best possible experience. The projects focus on different business challenges that range from understanding and predicting market data, to ranking all properties on our website and providing our customers with the most meaningful personalized recommendations, or making customer service a frictionless experience, preventing fraud, optimizing our marketing bidding, and much more.
You will thrive at Booking.com if you are result-focused, innovative, and with a solid quantitative background, but most of all by understanding our complex business model and the logic behind it. B.responsible
A Team Lead
at Booking.com is responsible for not only a hands-on data science and machine learning approach, but also leading and coaching team members to deliver products that our users love.
B.skilled Technical Skills:
- Work in a multi-disciplined team where you'll take full ownership of turning discoveries and ideas into machine learning models. You'll use the model's output to create and improve products for end users, preferably in short development cycles
- R & D work on how to improve customers' experience, by using our vast amount of data
- Actively contribute to taking Data Science at Booking.com to the next level through trainings, exploration of new technologies, interviewing and on-boarding colleagues, and generally empowering our Data Science community
- Facilitate an agile development team (small team of 5 - 7 people)
- Identify and support the growth of talents, provide feedback and supporting their development
- Assess individual and team performance
- Collaborate with the team and Product Owner to prioritize and have a clear focus
- Actively support the business priorities and be pragmatic about technology choices
People Management Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work or academic experience
- Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, etc.)
- Prior in-depth experience with different machine learning techniques and problem formulations, for instance some of the following: classification techniques (e.g. SVM, NB, Logistic Regression), regression techniques (e.g. RF, GLM, Linear Regression), sequence models (e.g. RNNs, CNNs, Markov models), NLP techniques (e.g. LDA, wor2vec, GloVe, RNNs), Game Theory, Mechanism Design, Deep Learning, etc.
- You have a successful track record of leading data science or development teams and managing people, with at least one year in a leadership role
- You have experience in performance evaluation and have experimented with different techniques to create personalized individual development plans
- Your communication is excellent and you love collaborating, and influencing others
- Experience with programming, scripting and software development, for instance in Python, R, Perl, Java, Octave, C/C++
- Exposure to SQL and relational databases
- Experience implementing real-world, production ready Machine Learning models
- Previous experience with the Hadoop Ecosystem
- Experience working with multi-core/distributed software, preferably in a Linux environment
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the "Booking Deal" with other competitive perks and benefits. IT has regular hackathons, trainings and attend/speak at global conferences.
We are open to discuss with worldwide talent and in the case of relocation, we will assist you by ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam.
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.