Senior Model Validator - Amsterdam
- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- Permanent, Full time
- ABN AMRO Bank
- 17 Feb 19
Senior Model Validator - Amsterdam
At a glance
ABN AMRO is on the trend of greater use of models. Driven in part by regulation but the growing reliance on models manifests in all areas of the bank. For risk management purposes ABN AMRO has models in place for a.o. credit risk, market risk, operational risk, and liquidity risk, covering the entire balance sheet of the bank. These models use market and client data to predict among others, the client behaviour and their risk profile based on the client characteristic, economy and market. Outside the risk management domain, model-based decision making becomes increasingly important and accepted. Models are also used for pricing, marketing, portfolio management, HR and in multiple other areas and innovative solutions. The Model Validation team is the main party challenging the quality of the models in ABN AMRO. As a result of the increase of the usage of models in the bank, our scope is continuously expanding. This increase requires also challenging models with new techniques, causing a stimulating and dynamic work environment. Do you enjoy an analytic job which makes a difference in the organization? Do you seek for a challenging and dynamic job with the opportunity of steep learning? Join this team aimed to manage the Banks model risk in the best possible way. As a Model Validator in ABN AMRO, you can become an expert in analysing and critically challenging several categories of risk models and get the understanding of the related risks. On the way, you will learn how to assess the quality of data; challenge state-of-the-art modelling techniques and/or checking the implementation and use of models. A Senior Model Validator gets the opportunity to challenge it all!What do you see when you envision the next step? Work on achieving your goals and develop yourself professionally and personally. Tell us your story. We want to hear it!
You are a senior of one of the four Model Validation teams (Innovation & Projects, Credit Risk Model Validation, ALM & Capital Model Validation or Valuation & Market Risk Model Validation) as an expert model validator. Being responsible for high quality validations as well as for related processes you contribute to identifying and mitigating the model risk at ABN AMRO. You have in-depth specialist knowledge of the broad range of models, methodologies and the businesses using these, as well as of processes relevant to your area of expertise. As a specialist you form an independent expert view on the mathematical consistency of the models, their suitability for the intended use, the accuracy of the models and their proposed implementation. Furthermore, you have a coaching role towards your team members and you can act as a delegate for the Team Lead Model Validation. Having exposure to key internal and external stakeholders, it is key that you act with confidence, communicate effectively and apply you expertise for the benefit of the department as well as the wider organization.
Your working environment
Model Validation operates independently of the model development departments at ABN AMRO to ensure the objectivity of the validation process. It covers the model risk dimensions of data, methodology, implementation and use. The outcome of the validation process affects every level of the organisation - from individual client acceptance to strategic decision making and steering.The department consists of about 30 specialists in a very international and diverse environment. This diversity, in terms of cultural background, gender, academic and working experience creates an optimal blend. We value team players who are smart, persistent, take their role seriously and are committed to finish the job.
Check your profile:
- University degree in a quantitative discipline, e.g. (financial) mathematics, (theoretical) physics, econometrics or similar, at least at Master level. A PhD and/or additional qualification (e.g. second Master degree in economics, finance or similar) is desirable.
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in a quantitative role in the financial industry (e.g. modeller, model validator, quantitative risk manager, quant developer, quantitative consultant) and/or in related research..
- Excellent knowledge of financial risk measurement and management methodologies.
- Excellent knowledge of regulatory requirements regarding model risk management and (risk) modelling.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with mathematical finance, statistics and econometrics.
- Excellent knowledge of financial markets & products.
- Advanced experience with modern programming languages, e.g. Python, MATLAB, C++ and/or database tooling, e.g., SQL, SAS and their application in statistical analysis.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills to a wide range of stakeholders
- Full business proficiency in English.
What we offer
- International multi-cultural working environment
- Great colleagues
- Challenging work
- Unique opportunity to interact with multiple departments within the bank
- Flexible working hours
- Future career development
- Wide-range of training courses
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits