Principal Front End Engineer- Accommodations
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than data sets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
New Segments is at the forefront of developing innovative and engaging experiences to Booking's expanding customer base. We're focused on next-generation growth, but to be successful we need the brightest minds and most creative thinkers to develop next-generation technology. That's where you come in. You will join a highly motivated and focused organisation and help evolve our platforms, processes and ways of working. You will have the scope and opportunity to deliver meaningful change in a key investment area of Booking. Are you ready for the challenge? B.responsible
- Leads design of a successful highly distributed, large scale platform that has a major impact on the internal and external users
- Serves as a front-end tech lead on large scale projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 10+ years of Front-end Development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- Proven track record of defining long term web client technical strategy and driving successful technical initiatives that improved performance, productivity and quality in a large scale environment
- You have experimented with different frontend frameworks and tools (e.g.: ReactJS/VueJS, TypeScript/Flow, npm/yarn, Webpack/Rollup, etc) and are able to choose the right ones according to the business needs and technical trade-offs;
- Experience in driving transformation of a large scale and high user traffic system to NodeJS
- Experience in mentoring and growing (senior/lead) developers
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Experience in driving transformation to a service oriented architecture (SOA) is a plus
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.