As a Network Engineer, you will play a lead role in designing, managing and shaping our state of the art, low latency network, while staying abreast of new technologies in the market place and making continued proposals to the business where improvements are possible.
The Network Engineer is accountable for the secure architecture, design, implementation, documentation and operational support of the Firm's network infrastructure and associated monitoring and telemetry, spanning the EMEA region. They will work closely with not only other network engineers, but also other engineering/IT teams, both intra and inter-regionally through collaborative efforts to deploy the best in class secure network designs.
Automation and modern configuration management are vital elements of the job, as efficiency and reliability are essential to a robust trading environment. Whether the contributions are in supporting the transport of main trading applications’ traffic or the automation of repetitive work, the successful Network Engineer at Flow Traders will be highly self-motivated, has strong attention to detail, and a clear focus on innovation and optimization.
In the current trading environment, a combination of intelligent strategies, as well as speed, are needed in order to act on market opportunities. In order to achieve this, Flow Traders is on the lookout for talented engineers to help design, build and optimize our trading infrastructure and strategies together with the business. Working with a small team developing Flow Traders' ultra low-latency network offerings. Take responsibility for the complete solution, which involves not only development and testing, but latency bench marking, product deployment, and automating processes to improve productivity.
Are you challenged by problem solving, passionate about innovation with a desire to improve by automation, and do you have a sixth sense for trial and error? Then this role is destined for you!
What You Will Do
- Baseline and map the current environment from the perspective of Layers 1-4 of the OSI model
- Develop a target state architecture and assist management with developing an engineering strategy for implementation
- Lead execution and implementation including (1) Identifying new platforms, vendors and technologies for use by the Firm along these objective(s), (2) Pilot and certify reference designs within the Firm's lab facilities
- Identify optimization opportunities based upon vendor developments and carrier enhancements in the long haul telecom space
- Collaborate with trading support groups during operational challenges to assist in issue remediation, troubleshooting and triage
- Collaborate with security to assist in maintaining secure routing, rule structure and implementation and whitelisting on firewalls
- Perform a gap analysis of the current environment against current state-of-the-art across the HFT and electronic trading industry, vendor offerings, and academic research
- Embrace a 'trusted adviser/consultative' approach with trading and application development to meet and satisfy strategic business requirements as well as advise on how specific new solutions can incrementally enhance trading performance
- Develop professional-grade design documentation in concert with target-state-architecture and as-built deployments
- Collaborate with the Firm's data center professionals in rack layout and facilities design, data center inter-connectivity, and exchange/trading counter party connectivity to optimize connectivity for ultra-low latency performance
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in the network instrumentation space with regards to latency monitoring, precision time-stamping, time synchronization, capture, protocol analysis, traffic heuristics, utilization, capacity, and application flows
- Provide input to tooling and automation on how to enhance the operational positioning and vigilance of the firms systems
- Maintain an understanding of the principles and concepts of the Linux networking stack and its impact to the network
- Be able to demonstrate the capability in understanding the FPGA and ASIC landscape as applied to algorithmic trading, vendor product differentiation and selection
- Analyze real trading and market situations to make distance to competition assessments
- Reverse engineer competitors’ setups and strategies
What You Need To Succeed
- 5 years of work experience as a network engineer or architect ideally in a high frequency trading environment
- Have experience with but not limited to the following hardware:
- IP Routing, Ethernet Switching, Layer 1 Switching, Matrix Switching, Sniffers, Netflow/sFLow Sensors, Application Performance Monitoring, Network Time Servers
- Have experience with but not limited to the following software/OS stack:
- EOS, IOS-XE, NX-OS, PAN-OS, ASA, Linux
- Have experience with but not limited to the following protocols:
- Ethernet, ARP, IP, TCP, UDP, OSPF, PIM, BGP, IGMP, PTP, GPS, LACP, 802.1Q, 802.1w, LLDP, VRRP, FIX, OUCH, ITCH
- Strong working knowledge of automation applications and frameworks, including monitoring applications, in the networking environment (including but not limited to Python) being able to make API calls and requests
- A passion for being knowledgeable of the algorithmic trading business, strategies for profitability, various aspects of how such enterprises generate revenue
- Clear English communication skills are a must
Nice to have
- Cloud experience with the various providers would be a plus
- Have working experience with the following technologies:
- Low and Ultra-Low Latency Network and Instrumentation Design, Application Latency Monitoring Design, Time Synchronization Design, time-stamping, FPGA's, ASIC's, Quality-of-Service, NAT, Market Data, Order Routing, Electronic Exchange Connectivity, Ultra Low Latency Long Haul, Exchange DR/BCP Solutions
- Be able to increase awareness of products traded, venues, locales, and connectivity
- Be an authority on the optimal design and integration of market data and order routing application stacks within a network
- Professional networking certification starting from CCNP and/ or CCIE
- Good understanding of Network Monitoring solutions: (Corvil knowledge is a plus)
- Ability to travel to various Flow Traders locations on a couple of occasions a year
What We Offer
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer a competitive salary, an annual discretionary profit share and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
- Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend domain-related conferences
- Our own company boat
- In-house gym and sessions with our nutritionist or personal trainer
- In-house Bar and Lounge with an arcade, table tennis, billiards table and game consoles
- Daily catered lunch, amazing coffee and a fully stocked kitchen and snack bar
- Weekly chair massages
- Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year
- Global rotations between our offices worldwide
- and more!
As we are unable to invite you over to our office, we would like to give you a virtual office tour!