- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Apr 19
We are looking for data savvy professionals to join our team. As a Data Engineer, you will be working with stakeholders throughout the company to ensure we have high quality data to power our business in all departments. Decisions for every part of our business -- from the frontend experience to performance marketing to partner products -- are driven by petabytes of our data via MySQL, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc. Your challenge will be to make sure we can utilize our petabyte scale data even more effectively to support business decisions and improve our products. Joining a cross functional team of developers, designers, data scientists, and product owners, we invite you to help us crunch the data to ensure our place as the planet's #1 accommodation site.
As a Data Engineer, you are responsible for the development, performance, quality, and scaling of our data pipelines, with a special focus on distributed processing and data quality. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance distributed data pipelines with real time stream processing;
- Responsible for making data available for other to use, both real time and offline.
- Solving issues with data and data pipelines, prioritizing based on customer impact, and building solutions that prevent them from happening again (root cause);
- End-to-end ownership of data quality in our core datasets and data pipelines;
- Experimenting with new tools and technologies to meet business requirements regarding performance, scaling, and data quality;
- Providing tools that enhance Data Quality company wide;
- Developing integrations between multiple applications and services, both on premise and in the cloud;
- Contributing to self-organizing tools that help the analytics community discover data, assess quality, explore usage, and find peers with relevant expertise;
- Building effective monitoring of data, and jumping in to handle outages.
We are looking for driven Data Engineers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field, working with systems and data infrastructure at scale;
- Proficiency in 1 or more server side programming languages -- preferably Scala, Java, Python, Perl, etc;
- Experience working with large scale data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL, etc;
- Experience in using stream processing technologies for real time aggregations, transformations etc..
- Demonstrable experience with SQL, HQL, CQL, etc;
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop;
- Good understanding of basic analytics and machine learning concepts;
- Preferably a university degree in Software Engineering or similar field;
- Excellent communication, written and spoken.
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the "Booking Deal" with other competitive perks and benefits.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam.