Petroleum Fiscal Analyst
The E&P Terms and Above-Ground Risk (EPTAGR) team is composed of petroleum fiscal experts, petroleum lawyers and petroleum risk experts. We are dedicated to providing oil and gas clients with actionable insights to inform upstream investment decisions.
Established in 1993, Petroleum Economics and Policy Solutions (PEPS) is our leading service. PEPS provides information and analysis of fiscal, legal, contractual, political and upstream activity developments that allow users to assess and benchmark petroleum sector risk and to compare exploration and production (E&P) attractiveness across more than 130 countries. PEPS is the only integrated solution in the market that allows oil and gas E&P companies to see a holistic view of international above-ground exposures. Position summary
We are seeking a Fiscal Analyst to join our team. Based in Kuala Lumpur, the role will report to the Associate Director of EPTAGR for APAC in Singapore and work closely with our Fiscal Team in London and Product Manager in Houston. The role provides an excellent opportunity to work alongside industry-leading fiscal experts and deepen petroleum fiscal modelling capabilities across global systems.
The key function of this role is to create forecasting models of international upstream fiscal systems that show the economics of hypothetical E&P projects. Given pre-defined cost and production profiles, the Analyst will create models that accurately capture the details of each country's taxation and profit/production system.
Using a combination of existing proprietary software and in-house research where necessary, the Analyst will help build and maintain a library of fiscal models written in MS Excel. This library will ultimately hold more than 200 fiscal models that will be used for internal analysis and by clients.
The Analyst must understand the primary methods investors employ to forecast the after-tax cash flows of large capital projects and be able to create client-ready economic forecasting models in Excel. Duties & accountabilities
Business competencies Education and experience
- Build and document detailed Excel models of petroleum fiscal regimes
- Compare outputs from existing models with new models and analyze variances to identify how the new models may need to change in order to reconcile with existing deliverables
- Incorporate feedback from quality control processes into models
- Prepare summary reports of progress on the development of the fiscal model library
- Work with team members in Houston and London to ensure clear understanding of all model components and modelling requirements
- Degree in Finance or Economics preferred
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills required
- Ability to build and edit complex macros in VBA preferred
- Data visualization program skills (e.g. Power BI, Spotfire) preferred
Personal competencies Personal impact
- Corporate and/or project finance analysis experience required (e.g. financial statement structures, tax calculations, valuation measures like NPV/IRR, etc.)
- Oil and gas sector experience preferred
- Great attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to operate independently, manage timelines and adjust to shifting priorities
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to describe complex issues clearly and concisely
- Ability to operate as part of a global team, working on a daily basis with counterparts across North America, EMEA & APAC
- Strong interpersonal skills
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.