Compliance - Trade Surveillance and Regulatory Inquiries, Manager/ Director, Hong Kong
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within the Legal and Compliance Division provide a wide range of services to our internal and external stakeholders. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the Firm’s invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm from sanctions with a Legal and Compliance framework that meets regulatory requirements. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm’s businesses.
Background on the Position
Morgan Stanley Compliance is looking for a Surveillance and Regulatory Inquiries professional for Hong Kong within the Legal and Compliance Division. The market surveillance team is responsible for monitoring trading in equity, derivatives, and fixed income products across the APAC region to detect trading activity that could adversely affect the firm and its reputation. They work closely with experienced staff and develop the capacity to conduct high quality routine surveillance with minimal supervision. They also work with Compliance product and country coverage teams, global Compliance practice leads, local business lines, support functions (including IT and Operations) and other stakeholders to identify business changes and regulatory developments that warrant updating existing or developing new surveillance patterns to ensure the Firm has comprehensive coverage.
Additionally, the role will be responsible for responding to regulatory inquiries.
The role will report into APAC Head of Surveillance and Regulatory Inquiries
• Timely analysis of alerts escalated by the offshore Surveillance team leading to the detection and prevention of market or Firm damaging misconduct;
• Perform ad-hoc reviews of trading activity by analyzing complex situations, identifying high risk behaviours, and applying judgement to resolve issues in an efficient manner;
• Contribute to design and development of controls to enhance surveillance coverage, including but not limited to various forms of conduct risk, and market manipulation;
• Maintain relationship with Compliance Coverage teams and Business Units; and
• Work with Technology teams and / or vendors in developing new tools and Surveillance controls.
• Retrieve information for regulatory inquires for Hong Kong, the PRC, Taiwan, Korea and India foreign investor businesses (eg. Hong Kong SFC, Stock Connect);
• Work with Business Units, Legal and Compliance Coverage teams in responding to the regulators, where necessary;
• Assist Litigation to conduct order/ trade data analysis; and
• Continuously work with IT to ensure the Regulatory Inquiry system/ tool is up-to date and accurate. Qualifications:
• 5+ years of relevant working experience in the financial services industry in Compliance or Internal Audit or with a securities exchange or securities regulator - junior profiles will be considered at the Associate level
• Experience in an asset class such as Equities / Equities Derivatives / FI / Commodities / FX
• High attention to details
• Strong analytical and investigative skills
• Ability to manage multi task, and handle multiple compliance reviews and projects at the same time and meet deadlines
• Proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
• Exposure to trading desks, electronic trading market and securities industry strongly preferred
• Experience with surveillance and case management systems, such as NICE Actimize and SMARTS
• Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite; Excel, Bloomberg
• Familiarity with market data and due diligence vendors (Bloomberg, Reuters, etc.)
• Fluency in Cantonese is a plus