Director of Public Affairs, China
About the Role
SWIFT is looking for a Director of Public Affairs for China to oversee our government relations and public sector engagement across a range of policy areas relevant to our business.
China is the world's second largest economy and a fast growing financial community domestically and internationally. SWIFT is a critical service provider for China through its global platform, providing financial messaging, standards, products & services to over 11,000 customers in over 200 countries and territories. China is moving to become a consumer-led economy with a growing middle class and the business community is seeking stronger connections to the world that enable a sustainable and productivity-driven growth model for China.
Given our neutral nature as an important global utility for the financial services industry we maintain political relationships across a wide spectrum of Government stakeholders in a number of countries. To support our global public affairs function we are opening a new position based in Beijing to lead the company's government relations in China, monitoring political developments and overseeing our political engagement across areas that may affect SWIFT.
The role will report to the Global Head of Public Affairs, working closely with our Head of China and colleagues in the Legal and Compliance department to meet our company objectives. The Public Affairs function is part of the Legal and Compliance Department whose mission it is to support SWIFT's business operations, strategic goals and innovative initiatives in a manner that preserves SWIFT's reputation, safeguards SWIFT's legal rights and assets and ensures SWIFT's compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
The role will expose you to SWIFT's governance, technology and commercial activities, and requires a good understanding of SWIFT's landscape, payments and the wider technological developments in the financial industry. You should have a keen interest in technology, the functioning of the financial system, payments, politics and regulation. Responsibilities
- You will be responsible for the company's strategic political advice on China and contribute to a wider global political picture for our Executive team to ensure we have a co-ordinated geo-political picture.
- Monitor and identify political, legislative and regulatory developments relevant to SWIFT (in close cooperation with local colleagues, and as needed, Regulatory Affairs)
- Provide 'Early Warning' on issues that may affect our business to ensure SWIFT is aware, in advance, of political and policy trends
- Gather insights into Government policy and direction on topics relating to SWIFT's business, including:
- payments and securities related policy, including other payment systems
- data, technology, cloud computing, cyber security, financial crime compliance, anti-money laundering, foreign policy issues of relevance,
- legislative and regulatory reporting on potential measures in China
- potential industry and foreign affairs events
Skills & Qualifications
- Lead SWIFT's proactive government and regulatory stakeholder engagement in China, working closely with the China business team and our global experts
- Identify and engage political commentators, academia and trade associations to show SWIFT as a critical financial industry partner
- Promote a better awareness and understanding of the company's operations, to represent and protect its interests and educate policy makers on the benefits of SWIFT to the global financial system
- Identify opportunities across the political and academic sphere to demonstrate SWIFT's expertise and experience
- Position SWIFT as a respected, trusted authority and thought leader in relevant areas
- Liaise closely with locally-based consultants
- University degree in political science, communications, legal or any related subject experience
- 10+ years' experience in public policy, Government or in-house/agency public affairs and Government Relations with a financial services or technology background
- Financial services or technology experience gained in network, platform, marketplace or transaction-based businesses is encouraged
- Political savvy, discretion and networking experience
- Detailed understanding of regulatory and legislative processes and geopolitical developments Proven ability to analyse, prioritise and summarise issues and to perform advocacy activities
- Ability to develop a good understanding of SWIFT's corporate, operational and commercial strategy and priorities
- Effective and efficient information analysis, management and delivery
- Experience with working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment and across geographies and teams
- Comfort with high levels of ambiguity and the skills to prioritise within a rapidly changing environment
- Executive presence - excellent internal and external interpersonal and networking skills including at senior management level
- Communicates strategy and key messages with clarity, consistency and confidence